Sunday, November 27, 2011

November 27, 2011

This morning we went to my cousin Roger's missionary farewell in Huntington Beach.  He's leaving in just a few weeks to serve a Spanish speaking mission in Tampa, FL.  After the meeting we went back to Karen & Brian's house for brunch and to visit with everyone.  Just a little before we left, Luke started crying like he was hurt.  I got back and calmed him down but then he screamed the entire drive home. 


After we got home I nursed him, changed him, etc. but he was still crying and I noticed that he wasn't moving his left arm and cried more every time I moved it.  I started to panic a little bit.  See Luke never really cries unless he is hungry or tired or maybe a little bored but even then it's just a little bit of fussing and he calms down right away as soon as he is taken care of.  So I knew something was wrong and it was scary.  We decided to take him to the urgent care.  By the time we got there he had stopped crying but was still not moving his left arm at all.  The doctor checked him out and wanted to do an x-ray, but after getting a second opinion they determined that it was probably just a sprain.  In fact, after they moved it around a bit he seemed to be in less pain.

Update - At his six month check-up I relayed the story to Dr. Baker, his pediatrician, and she told me that she thought it was probably nursemaid's elbow.  I think she's probably right because by the next day he was totally fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment