Sunday, January 3, 2016

January 2, 2016


I have the opportunity to earn my Young Women's medallion a second time while I am serving as Young Women's president (I totally could have done this the other two times I served in YW, but I didn't). One of the requirements for the value of Virtue is to read the entire Book of Mormon. I've been wanting to get back on track with scripture reading, so this is another one of my New Year's Resolutions. I plan to finish it twice this year. .

I've also felt very strongly that I need to encourage our YW to be reading their scriptures. The Church is very different in the South. I'm still trying to accept the fact that many of the YW in our Ward have zero desire or intention to complete the Personal Progress program, no matter how much I encourage them.  And that's okay.  What I truly want for each of them is to develop a personal relationship with, and testimony of, our Savior Jesus Christ.  And what better way to start than by reading the Book of Mormon.

Since it is the first Sunday of the month tomorrow I am teaching all of the YW combined. I spent a couple hours today making this chart that can fold up to store in our YW closet. I plan to challenge each of them to join me in reading the Book of Mormon in 2016. They can sign their name in a colored square and mark off their progress each week. I hope that if nothing else, that displaying this chart each week might encourage and remind them to keep reading.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome Carrie. I think it's always easier to do something when you know others are doing it too. Accountability and motivation. It is also one of my goals this year to read the Book of Mormon more consistently.

    ReplyDelete