Wednesday, February 27, 2013

February 27, 2013


Isaac had a make-up karate class today because we missed two classes while he was sick and gone in Georgia.  Today was testing and Isaac was up for his orange belt.  Each belt test requires the students to learn a new portion of a kata.  This is super hard for Isaac.  It's actually kind of hard for me too.  In order for me to help him practice at home I have to learn it myself, and it's not easy for me.  Anyway, Isaac really struggles with remembering his left from right and that is a big portion of the katas.  We practiced about 20 times before coming to class today but he was still not quite test ready.  Sensei sent him in the other room with a volunteer to help him practice but it didn't go so well.  Isaac doesn't really care about the belts and is just not motivated.  He kept crying and saying it was too hard and he didn't want to do it.  It's frustrating for me to have him not care.  I want him to learn to push through the hard part and succeed.  We kept making him practice, over and over until he had it.  Unfortunately, by then he was so upset that he did not want to do the test.  I'm worried that I'm going to have a hard time keeping this kid motivated and determined to succeed in life.  He reminds me too much of a few of my own siblings.  And not in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment