Friday, August 9, 2013

August 9, 2013


Happy Birthday to Charlie!  He is 36 years old today and we had fun celebrating.  The boys and I picked him up from work to go to lunch at PDM Cafe.  It's a new restaurant in Irvine, though their Newport Beach locations have been around for awhile.  I had a seasonal salad with grilled chicken breast that was fantastic.  I always love a good salad.  At the end of the meal they brought us each a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie.  Luke is holding his up to the camera in this photo.  This boy loves cookies. 


Charlie came home from work just a little bit early and we rode bikes over to the pool to swim for an hour or so.  Next we headed to dinner at La Sirena Grill, and then came home to sing Happy Birthday and eat cake.  Charlie chose to have a yellow cake with chocolate frosting.  This was actually my first time baking a yellow cake and I decided to go with a different frosting recipe too (though I will go back to my other recipe next time because this one wasn't as good).  I finally got new cake pans with straight edges so the cake actually stacked up nicely this time.  Except it looked a little boring after I frosted it, so I decided to try making chocolate shavings to decorate the sides.  I was having a tough time getting them to stick and they were starting to melt in my hands and get really messy.  As I was in the middle of freaking out about all of this Luke walked into the kitchen and said "Ah! Cake mess!"  Though he confirmed my suspicions of the cake looking like a disaster, he did give me a good laugh.  I think it looked okay in the end.  The important part was that it tasted good!  


It was also Adrianna's last session with Luke this morning.  I got a little teary eyed when we said good bye to her.  I tried to explain it to Luke but I don't think he really gets it.  Perhaps it is better this way and I can just be sad for him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment